23 Nov Medical Technologist / Medical Laboratory Technician (Part-Time)
Website Munising Memorial Hospital
Munising Memorial Hospital is seeking a part time Medical Technologist / Medical Laboratory Technician. The Medical Technologist / Medical Laboratory Technician performs the primary functions of an MT or MLT in assessing and implementing the various aspects of patient care relative to the laboratory, including drawing patients, processing specimens, timely response, quality control, quality assurance and instrument function assessment, during the shift. This position is responsible for meeting the established standards of Laboratory practice.
This position is up to 25 hours per week. Benefits include: Paid time off.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receives/collects/draws patient specimens such as blood urine, sputum and cultures and prepares specimens for testing here or for sending out. (A) observes strict principles of asepsis and antisepsis to prevent infection of patient and self, and contamination of specimens when working with patient samples, (B) logs specimens and procedures in the appropriate books and sends billing copies to billing department.
- Maintains work area, refrigerators and equipment in a neat and sanitary condition. (A) Cleans counters and collection trays and keeps all work areas and collection trays restocked so they are ready to use.
- Explains procedures in a way that puts patients at ease. Is considerate and diplomatic with patients and fellow workers as well as with other employees.
- Requests/orders/distributes supplies in a timely manner so as not to overstock or exhaust supplies.
- Works in accordance with all hospital policies.
- Recognizes and responds to priorities when deciding the order of tests to be done.
- Contacts/consults/evaluates with the appropriate supervisor when test results are abnormal and when difficulties are encountered with all identification/abnormalities in patient testing or quality control.
- Assists the supervisor in assessing the delivery of laboratory services in the department and identifies problems and any need for improvement.
- Assists the supervisor in assessing the needs of each department assigned on a daily basis relative to workload and supplies.
- Assists the supervisor in assessing the priority of testing in each department assigned on a daily basis.
- Assesses current instrument status on a daily basis in each department by running controls and standards. Troubleshoots equipment problems and collaborates with the laboratory director in any problem areas.
- Identifies any equipment, quality control or quality assurance problems and rectifies or relays them to the laboratory director in a timely manner.
- Identifies any abnormal laboratory results that are clearly hazardous to patient’s well-being (such as, but not limited to panic values), and relays in a timely fashion to the patient’s physician, charge nurse, supervisor or laboratory director.
- Implements activities necessary to meeting self-objectives. Participates in implementing planned changes and activities to improve the department.
- Holds self-accountable for the delivery of quality care in the laboratory.
- Acts rapidly and effectively and manages self and other employees during any emergency situations.
- Promotes harmonious relationships and favorable attitudes among the health care team.
- Supports and adheres to laboratory and administrative policies and procedures.
- Attends required in-service and education programs.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Graduate of an accredited school of Medical Technology.
- Current License as Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)(ASCP)
- BLS Certification
- Prolonged periods of standing, sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to lift/push/pull a minimum of 25 pounds.
- Must be able to function in a wide variety of environments which may involve exposure to allergens and other health conditions.
Munising Memorial Hospital is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org